This is a guest contribution from Jordan Ring at www.FiberGuardian.com
Fiber is a true weight loss powerhouse. There are many other fakers out there, but Fiber takes the weight loss cake every time (Don’t you love irony? I know I do!) Start incorporating more fiber into your diet and BOOM! You will start to see the results right away.
The best part is that it is easy! You don’t have to make it complicated. All you need to do is up your fiber intake, and this isn’t difficult as long as you know what kind of foods to look for.
Fiber is the indigestible part of plant foods and it can be found in a plethora of different foods. For a quick reference see Dr. Oz’s 50 Fiber Rich Foods.
The health benefits of fiber, how to go about adding it to your diet, and why you should start NOW as opposed to later, is covered here in the article. You must become the WHO. Are you ready? Let us get right to it.
The Incredible Health Benefits of Fiber
“Whole foods like grains and beans release their sugar very, very slowly because of the fiber in them, and they don’t give you a sugar rush. They feed your cells as needed, and as a result, you have loads of stable energy that powers you through the day.” -Kathy Freston
Why should you up your fiber intake? Its actually quite simple… Do you want to lose weight, reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke, and live a long and healthy life? Fiber can help you to do all of these things and more including:
- It can help you to poop- Everybody poops, and fiber helps to keep you more regular and aids in the prevention of constipation AND diarrhea. You might ask how can it do both? Basically it helps by both pulling water from the colon to make your stool softer as well as serving to absorb excess water (sort of like a sponge) and firm it up. Fiber is basically an overpowered superhero, and if it were in its own video game you would have to ban it for being too awesome…
- Decreasing cholesterol levels.
- Improving the regulation of blood sugar.
- And of course, WEIGHT LOSS! – Fiber reduces the amount of calories you consume over a day because it makes you feel fuller. This great news for those of you that view diets as a carrot and a piece of lettuce for dinner. Diets do NOT have to be hard and complicated. Diets in the traditional sense don’t work anyway, only true lifestyle change can bring about meaningful and lasting change.
How to Make Fiber a Part of Your Life
“Eating apples is good on so many levels. There’s fiber in the skin that’s really good for you. It helps with digestion and helps you absorb all the nutrients of everything you’ve eaten that day. Apples are a really good thing.” -Rebecca Romijn
First you need to determine How Much Fiber Per Day You Actually Need. For most of you reading this the easy answer is MORE. over 90% of Americans don’t actually get enough fiber in their diet, so chances are good that you aren’t either.
The fact is just that most of the American diet doesn’t include fiber. It is something that we can work to change in ourselves, and change for the greater good in the long run! We can make a difference and change the world just by spreading the good news of a high fiber diet! (Okay I got a little bit into the role of The Fiber Guardian there! I know that I am not a superhero… So Let’s get back to you and your thirst for fiber knowledge.)
Fiber can be found in an assortment of different fruits, grains, vegetables, and nuts and seeds. Add an apple and some beans to your diet and voila! You are now well on your way to reaching your weight loss goals. It is a natural part of food and EASY to start adding to your diet. It is really simple to quickly get started.
- Eat an Apple every day. Apples have 4 grams of fiber and come in many different varieties.
- Switch to whole grain breads from white bread (unless you are gluten free, then you will need another option)
- Have high fiber cereal for breakfast such as bran flakes.
- Find a healthy fiber bar that you like such as a kind bar. Be sure to always check the item on Fooducate in order to see how good for you it is. Many so called “healthy fiber bars” are actually terrible for you and some even include trans fat as an ingredient! Yuck! Avoid Trans Fat at all costs.
- Learn to love nuts such as almonds and pistachios and eat them DAILY!
If you choose to add fiber to your diet do it slowly! It can mess with your system if added too fast. Up your fiber intake over time to achieve the best results and to be able to stick with it.
Why You Should Start Right Away
There might not be a tomorrow. One of the major keys to a happy and productive life is to take action today. All it takes is a small change today in order to lead you towards a brighter future tomorrow. Grab an apple, eat some almonds, choose whole wheat pasta over regular or even switch out regular potatoes with sweet potatoes. Regardless of what change you decide to make, the importance is to DO it and follow through.
“We can’t be afraid of change. You may feel very secure in the pond that you are in, but if you never venture out of it, you will never know that there is such a thing as an ocean, a sea. Holding onto something that is good for you now, may be the very reason why you don’t have something better.” ― C. JoyBell C.
Making small changes to your way of life is critically important for continued personal growth. If we are resistant to change we won’t be able to grow and advance towards our true potential. Start now by:
- Making short term goals.
- Reaching those goals by making small changes
- Rinse and Repeat to discover your true potential
This is the part where you decide to take a leap of faith and decide to make a change. No matter our size, shape, lifestyle, or circumstance, we all have more to accomplish and more to add to the world.
What will your legacy be? Start the discussion by answering that question in the comments below!
Thanks so much for reading, and have an awesome day!
Jordan Ring is new to the wide world of blogging. He enjoys making weird faces, eating apples, and playing ultimate frisbee with his wife. He is obsessed with the high fiber diet and is currently in the best shape of his life and enjoying every minute of it. For more awesomeness, head on over to his website at www.FiberGuardian.com.